Energy Trading Analyst Internship (Fall 2022)
|Job Category||Engineering & Information Technology|
|Location||Palo Alto, California|
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect What You'll Do
- Disclaimer: This position is for Fall 2022, expected to start around Sept or Oct 2022 and continue through December or into early Winter 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team's success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you'll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla's mission.
About the Team
We are an algorithmic trading team that leads market operations for Tesla's fleet of grid-scale battery + renewable assets in wholesale electricity markets across the world. Using Tesla's in-house automated trading platform, Autobidder, we are responsible for bidding assets into multiple wholesale energy markets, ensuring the assets meet contractual obligations, and complying with market rules. This includes developing and executing trading strategies, monitoring automated trading systems, balancing risk vs. expected returns, developing internal tools for simulation and analysis, analyzing performance across market conditions, and prototyping new algorithm ideas as part of the team's R&D process.
In this internship, you will serve on the frontlines of the transition to sustainable energy, which requires high-performing batteries to bolster the grid and support a renewable future. Note that our team is actively seeking full-time hires for this position. Successful interns would be highly competitive candidates.
What You'll Bring
- What to Expect
- Provide fundamental analysis, insights, and expertise in electricity markets that fuel our competitive advantage in algorithmic electricity market trading.
- Structure batch experiments through our proprietary simulation platform and conduct forensic analysis of outputs to explain performance and identify opportunities for algorithmic improvements.
- Develop trading strategies that improve Tesla asset performance based on different market conditions and forecasted behavior of competitors.
- Analyze historical bidding behavior of competing generators in wholesale energy markets Tesla operates in.
- Monitor market design evolution and engage with stakeholders in our key markets and analyze the impact of policy changes on storage monetization in electricity markets.
- Currently working towards a MS/PhD in Engineering with training in Economics / Policy/ Markets.
- Python proficiency, but not software engineer level.
- Experience in the renewable energy industry, and ideally with wholesale electricity trading.
- Eager to work in an aggressive start-up like company environment with great opportunities for growth and spectacular achievement.
- Proficiency in: SQL, Git, Docker, Linux.
- Demonstrated ability to develop convex optimization and forecasting algorithms.
- Experience writing production code.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site (free step by step ). Please contact for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.